Beverly Sung's pleated, asymmetrical dresses (above, left) were a respectable nod to Issey Miyake. Sculptural, digital printed dresses from Wenxia Wang and Zenobia Duncan (below, left) were equally impressive. Elaine Lui, a former Alexander Wang intern, drew creativity from her native Hong Kong, with mesh-overlaid streetwear covered with prints of electric wiring and light-up LCD details built into the clothes (above, right). Across the board, fabric innovation was the big story here—burned Lycra, hand-plisséd skirts, digitally printed boiled wool. Dean of Fashion Michael Fink told us, "What sets this year apart is that there is so much textile and fiber development. The fashion students are actually making their own textiles in collaboration with our Fibers students."
One-on-ones with the designers after the show afforded an opportunity to hear their stories and inspirations. Michael Mann's conceptual menswear referenced football, a comment on the offense and defense he struggled between while being bullied as a teen. Wesley Berryman's parents drove eight hours from rural Tennessee to come see him show androgynous creations that might feel at home on a rack beside Rick Owens and Gareth Pugh (above, right). Berryman's mother told us, "I don't know where he got his fashion sense—definitely not from me! When we used to go to Walmart [to buy clothes], I was always worried he would put up a fight! But really, I just want to support my son."
The real joy in seeing a student fashion show like SCAD's is the opportunity to witness creativity without the commercial restraints many professional designers face. Free from the pressure of having to "sell" anything, and enabled by a supportive faculty and cutting-edge facilities, SCAD's runway served as a rare, unfettered fashion moment.
POST: 2014-05-19 18:52
More Apparel Brand News
- 09-07· Bella Hadid Joins Her Sister as a Victoria's Secret Model
- 09-06· I know my children, Honor and Haven, are growing up in a safer home because of our products.
- 09-06· This is How You Get More Followers on Social Media
- 09-05· This Is What the New Look of Leadership Really Looks Like
- 09-05· The Celebrity Guide to Emerging From the Ocean Gracefully
- 08-25· The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today
- 05-19· Creativity Without Commercial Restraints at SCAD's Annual Student Fashion Show
- 05-16· A.P.C. Invests in Vanessa Seward's New Label
- 05-16· Alexander Wang Takes Balenciaga to Beijing
- 05-15· Moschino's Jeremy Scott-Designed Men's Collection Will Debut in London
- 03-061LINDI : Tunic
- 02-232KOSHA : Order
- 02-093L.A.M.B. : Long skirts short
- 02-044AMICI : amici leggings made out of nylon
- 01-255YIFINI : outerwear
- 11-256KOSHA : snow
- 11-137SINA COVA : leather lugggage
- 10-248CHCH : man
- 09-019SANDWICH : ladies fashions
- 08-2310WEWE : Sizes
- Bella Hadid Joins Her Sister as a Victoria's Secret Model
- I know my children, Honor and Haven, are growing up in a safer home because of our products.
- This is How You Get More Followers on Social Media
- This Is What the New Look of Leadership Really Looks Like
- The Celebrity Guide to Emerging From the Ocean Gracefully
- The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today