Handpicked by Wang, the selection from Cristóbal Balenciaga's Parisian years (1937 to 1968) highlighted the key pieces in his oeuvre. "I think it would be doing an injustice for everybody not to see it," Wang explained. Enshrined at the center of the exhibition, therefore, was the famous Infanta dress (1949), which shows the unremitting influence of Balenciaga's Spanish heritage on his work; the Babydoll dress of 1958; and the famed wedding dress from his last collection presented in 1967.
Though he epitomized that old world of couture, Balenciaga was the greatest pioneer of them all. Blockbuster pieces aside, the Fishnet dress (1964), an overlay of net upon a black sheath inspired by the fishermen in his hometown of Getaria, and a reversible fur-lined silk-nylon coat (1959) were just a few examples of the utterly modern. A little-known fact about the famously reticent designer was his penchant for filming his presentations in the last decade of his career, and the videos provided illuminating glimpses of "the master of us all" at work. A suit worn by Marlene Dietrich in the 1950s and the Sari dress, a design owned by Ava Gardner, Elizabeth Taylor, and Dodie Rosekrans, also served as a reminder of his legendary clientele.
The venue, the China Academy of Oil Painting, was chosen for the church-like structure in its midst (actually the school's lecture hall), where Balenciaga's SS'14 collection was presented. "We could have easily shown the Fall collection," Wang explained before the show, "but I wanted something that would penetrate immediately." Along with the existing outfits, therefore, the models (Shu Pei, Ming Xi, Xiao Wen Ju, Hanne Gaby Odiele, et al.) sported fifteen new looks from a capsule collection released exclusively in Balenciaga's China stores immediately following the show.
POST: 2014-05-16 22:11
More Apparel Brand News
- 09-07· Bella Hadid Joins Her Sister as a Victoria's Secret Model
- 09-06· I know my children, Honor and Haven, are growing up in a safer home because of our products.
- 09-06· This is How You Get More Followers on Social Media
- 09-05· This Is What the New Look of Leadership Really Looks Like
- 09-05· The Celebrity Guide to Emerging From the Ocean Gracefully
- 08-25· The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today
- 05-19· Creativity Without Commercial Restraints at SCAD's Annual Student Fashion Show
- 05-16· A.P.C. Invests in Vanessa Seward's New Label
- 05-16· Alexander Wang Takes Balenciaga to Beijing
- 05-15· Moschino's Jeremy Scott-Designed Men's Collection Will Debut in London
- 02-091L.A.M.B. : Long skirts short
- 02-042AMICI : amici leggings made out of nylon
- 01-253YIFINI : outerwear
- 11-254KOSHA : snow
- 11-135SINA COVA : leather lugggage
- 10-246CHCH : man
- 09-017SANDWICH : ladies fashions
- 08-238WEWE : Sizes
- 08-059DEVILNUT : clothes for mans
- 08-0310PRIPASO : Why People Need a Pripaso Car DVR in a Trip
- Bella Hadid Joins Her Sister as a Victoria's Secret Model
- I know my children, Honor and Haven, are growing up in a safer home because of our products.
- This is How You Get More Followers on Social Media
- This Is What the New Look of Leadership Really Looks Like
- The Celebrity Guide to Emerging From the Ocean Gracefully
- The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today